Application modernisation is all about updating and improving the functionality, performance, and relevance of existing applications. To achieve this, organisations often turn to a variety of modern technologies that can help them streamline their development processes, improve the user experience, and take advantage of new business opportunities. Here are some key technologies and processes that are often used in application modernisation:
- Cloud computing: Migrating legacy applications to the cloud can help organisations scale their infrastructure, reduce costs, and increase agility. Cloud platforms like AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud offer a range of services that can support the modernisation process, including compute, storage, networking, and data analytics.
- Containers and container orchestration: Containers are lightweight, portable packages that contain everything an application needs to run, including code, libraries, and system tools. Container orchestration tools like Kubernetes can help organisations manage and deploy containerised applications at scale.
- Microservices: Microservices is an architecture that decomposes a monolithic application into smaller, independent units that can be developed and deployed separately. This can make it easier to maintain and update the application and enables organisations to scale different parts of the application independently.
- DevOps: DevOps is a set of practices and tools that help organisations automate and streamline the development, testing and deployment of software. By adopting DevOps, organisations can reduce the time it takes to release new features or updates and improve the reliability and performance of their applications.
- Machine learning: Machine learning is a type of artificial intelligence that enables computers to learn and make decisions without being explicitly programmed. By integrating machine learning into their applications, organisations can improve the accuracy and effectiveness of their algorithms and enable their applications to learn and adapt over time.
By leveraging these and other modern technologies, organisations can modernise their applications and stay competitive in today's rapidly evolving technology landscape.
Application modernisation will be key to moving your organisation forward. Automation is becoming more of the “norm” across businesses in all areas, especially IT. The best practices are to start with smaller projects and obtain a measure of successful outcomes before scaling into more complex projects. This will help to de-risk the growth your organisation may be looking to achieve.